DR Congo, Rwanda leaders to sign peace deal in US
Next week's meeting between Congo's President Felix Tshisekedi and Rwanda's President Paul Kagame is expected to seal a peace deal brokered by US President Donald Trump in June.
The Democratic Republic of Congo's President Felix Tshisekedi will travel to the United States next week to finalise a peace agreement and meet with Rwandan President Paul Kagame, the Congolese government announced on Friday.
The meeting, slated for December 4, aims to advance a US-brokered peace deal reached in June, capping months of diplomatic efforts led by US President Donald Trump.
More To Read
- Kagame says some coups are justifiable if they address governance failures
- M23 rebels hands over minors taken from conflict zones in North Kivu, DRC
- UN decries ‘truly horrific’ massacres in DR Congo
- MONUSCO condemns ADF attacks that killed 89 civilians in North Kivu
- Kagame, Emir of Qatar highlight deepening ties after Kigali visit
- Rwandan, Belgian foreign ministers hold talks to mend ties after months of tension
The leaders of Congo and Rwanda are expected to ratify the final deal along with a Regional Economic Integration Framework negotiated earlier this month, according to Tina Salama, a spokesperson for Tshisekedi.
"The president has always desired regional integration, but respect for sovereignty is non-negotiable and a prerequisite for regional integration," Salama said.
Tshisekedi's confirmation of the December 4 signing comes one day after his counterpart, Kagame, cautioned that durable peace in eastern Congo will require a genuine commitment from both sides.
"Some of these processes will not work not just because we are meeting in Washington or the powerful United States is involved, but until those people concerned directly are committed to achieving results," Kagame said.
Eastern Congo has endured years of conflict between government forces and more than 100 different armed groups, most notably the M23 rebels.
The conflict intensified this year as M23 captured the major cities of Goma and Bukavu, deepening an already severe humanitarian crisis.
In November, Congo and M23 rebels signed a new peace framework to end the conflict that had devastated its east.
Congo's government has repeatedly said any agreement depends on Rwanda withdrawing its support for the M23 rebels.
Rwanda denies backing M23, but United Nations experts reported in July that Rwanda exerts command and control over the group.
Speaking to The Associated Press on Friday, Salama said any peace agreement must exclude "any mixing or integration of M23 fighters".
She added that the withdrawal of Rwandan troops was already outlined in an agreement signed in June by the foreign ministers of both countries.
"We are pursuing peace within a regional integration framework," Salama said. "What remains non-negotiable for us is the territorial integrity of the DRC."
Top Stories Today