Gunmen kill at least 38 in attack on eastern Congo villages

Armed men used guns and machetes to attack residents of villages in Beni territory, in North Kivu province, overnight on Friday, local official Fabien Kakule told Reuters.
Gunmen killed at least 38 people in an overnight attack on villages in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, two district officials and a civil society leader said on Saturday.
Local civil society leader Justin Kavalami blamed members of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) for the attack. The ADF, alleged to be behind another village assault that killed at least 16 people earlier this week, originates from neighbouring Uganda.
More To Read
- DR Congo: UN condemns deadly attacks in the east of the country
- ADF rebels kill at least 52 civilians in eastern DRC
- Kenya clarifies nomination of Consul-General to Goma following pushback from DRC
- Islamic State claims responsibility for DRC church attack that left at least 43 dead
- ISIS-linked rebels kill 38 in Catholic church attack in eastern DRC’s Komanda region
- Suspected suicide bomber trailed for days before attempted market attack - UPDF
Now based in eastern Congo, it has been accused of frequent attacks, further destabilising a region where many militant groups are active.
Armed men used guns and machetes to attack residents of villages in Beni territory, in North Kivu province, overnight on Friday, local official Fabien Kakule told Reuters.
District official Leon Kakule Siviwe said the death toll stood at 38 and said the recent surge in violence was due to the attackers taking advantage of a low-security presence.
They came to "slaughter the population when there were no soldiers in place," he told Reuters.
It was not possible to reach the ADF for comment.
Top Stories Today