US set to deport permanent residents over Haitian gang links

Thousands have been killed by gang violence that has swept Haiti in recent years. The Trump administration previously classified one of the main armed groups as a Foreign Terrorist Organization.
The US has taken steps to deport lawful permanent residents after authorities claimed they had supported gangs in Haiti, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced on Monday.
Rubio said the move would target those who supported and collaborated with Viv Ansanm, the armed alliance that controls most of Haiti's capital, Port-au-Prince, and which President Donald Trump's administration labelled a Foreign Terrorist Organisation back in May.
More To Read
- ‘The people of Haiti are in a perfect storm of suffering,’ warns UN chief
- Kenya defends Sh271 million image-laundering gamble in Washington
- Kenya gambles on Washington powerbroker to revive Ruto’s image and AGOA
- Kenyan-led forces retake Télcos Station from gangs in Haiti
- Ruto, US Secretary Rubio discuss Haiti security mission, trade as Kenya pushes UN support
- Why ‘Tomorrow is too late’ to scale up humanitarian aid in Haiti
"The United States will not allow individuals to enjoy the benefits of legal status in our country while they are facilitating the actions of violent organisations or supporting criminal terrorist organisations," Rubio said.
Haiti has seen spiralling gang violence after the 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moise, with almost 5,000 people killed between October 2024 and June 2025 and many more displaced, according to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Prominent Haitian arrested in Miami
No individuals were named in Rubio's statement on Monday.
But the announcement came as the Associated Press reported that federal agents had arrested prominent Haitian businessman, doctor and former presidential hopeful Pierre Reginald Boulos in Miami.
Boulos was born in the US but renounced his citizenship to run for president in Haiti.
Late last week, he was reportedly taken to Krome North Service Processing Centre in Florida, a detention centre that Human Rights Watch said in a recent report is one of three in the state that "flagrantly violate international human rights standards."
Neither US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) nor an attorney for Boulos immediately clarified why he was arrested.
Top Stories Today