Back to the streets: Families of missing Kenyans to stage nationwide protests

Protests come after the expiry of a 48-hour ultimatum demanding the unconditional release of individuals allegedly held incommunicado by state agents.
Human rights activists and families of missing persons are set to hold nationwide protests today, Monday, to condemn the rising cases of abductions allegedly linked to rogue police officers.
The organisers have described the demonstrations as the “mother of all protests.”
More To Read
- NPSC chair Yuda Komora vows to transform police into citizen-centered service
- Ruto appoints Faith Odhiambo to co-chair panel of experts on compensation of protest victims
- Garissa family demands justice over missing relative
- 'Muthaiga 3' activists set free after High Court rejects case extension request
- MPs back IPOA’s call for funding independence and armed investigators
- US report raises alarm over deterioration of human rights in Kenya
The protests were triggered by the expiry of a 48-hour ultimatum issued last Friday by the activists and families, demanding the unconditional release of individuals allegedly held incommunicado by state agents.
Their calls for action have intensified amid mounting accusations of government complicity in the disappearances.
During a preparatory meeting in Nairobi on Sunday, an activist revealed that plans for the protests had been finalised.
“Everything is ready. We will occupy [the streets] for as many days as it takes until those abducted are released. The time for talking is over,” he said.
Disregard for growing crisis
Activists have also criticised President William Ruto for remaining silent on the issue, calling for him to disclose who is behind the abductions after denials from the police and the Interior Ministry.
They argue that his lack of action reflects a disregard for the growing crisis.
Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua and other opposition leaders have echoed the calls for accountability, giving the government a 72-hour ultimatum to release the missing individuals.
Gachagua recently alleged that a secret abduction squad operates from a Nairobi building and promised to provide further details.
The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights has reported 82 abductions since June, with 29 individuals still missing. Seven cases have been recorded in the past two weeks alone.
Meanwhile, no police officers have been charged over extrajudicial killings or abductions, a fact that has further angered citizens.
Issack Hassan, the chairperson of the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA), expressed concern over the trend, urging accountability for any officers found culpable.
IPOA probing abductions
IPOA said it has deployed rapid response teams to investigate the abductions and their alleged links to police involvement.
On Sunday, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Renson Ingonga gave the Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja and IPOA three days to investigate the recent cases of abductions.
Ingonga directed both agencies to provide updates or submit investigation files for review by January 1, 2025.
Top Stories Today
- Live blog: Governor Erick Mutai’s impeachment trial enters third day
- Indiscipline to blame for Nairobi–Nakuru Highway gridlock, says KeNHA
- KNCHR nominee admits victims’ compensation panel encroaches on commission
- Kenya losing over Sh600 billion in stalled public projects, says PMI
- Government to allow raw sugar imports to ease 400,000 metric tonne shortage
- MPs launch probe into kidney transplants on foreign nationals in Eldoret hospitals