Saudi Arabia will not recognise Israel without Palestinian state, says Crown Prince

MbS, Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler, had said just weeks before the fighting broke out that Riyadh was getting closer to a deal.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Wednesday said the kingdom would not recognise Israel without a Palestinian state and strongly condemned the "crimes of the Israeli occupation" against the Palestinian people.
"The kingdom will not stop its tireless work towards the establishment of an independent Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital, and we affirm that the kingdom will not establish diplomatic relations with Israel without that," the crown prince, known as MbS, said.
More To Read
- 5,000 Kenyan Muslims to take part in 2026 Hajj pilgrimage
- Iran urges extraordinary OIC meeting on Gaza humanitarian catastrophe
- MSF calls for immediate closure of US and Israeli-backed aid group in Gaza
- Global survey finds majority back cutting arms sales to Israel over Gaza war
- Sudan’s rebel force has declared a parallel government: What this means for the war
- Palestine condemns US House speaker's visit to West Bank settlement
After the eruption of war last October, Saudi Arabia put on ice US-backed plans for the kingdom to normalise ties with Israel, two sources familiar with Riyadh's thinking said earlier this year, in a swift reordering of its diplomatic priorities.
MbS, Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler, had said just weeks before the fighting broke out that Riyadh was getting closer to a deal.
The two sources told Reuters there would be some delay in the US-backed talks on the normalisation of Saudi-Israel ties, which is seen as a key step for the kingdom to secure what it considers the real prize of a US defence pact in exchange.
MbS made the remarks at an annual speech to the advisory Shura Council, which he gave on behalf of his father, King Salman.
The council swore an oath of office before MbS on Wednesday before he addressed it.
Top Stories Today
- Live blog: Governor Erick Mutai’s impeachment trial enters third day
- Indiscipline to blame for Nairobi–Nakuru Highway gridlock, says KeNHA
- KNCHR nominee admits victims’ compensation panel encroaches on commission
- Kenya losing over Sh600 billion in stalled public projects, says PMI
- Government to allow raw sugar imports to ease 400,000 metric tonne shortage
- UN warns Kenyans over spike in scams linked to staff relocation to Nairobi