Parliament to weigh in as NCIC accuses Gachagua of ignoring summons

Gachagua was summoned over remarks he made on February 23, 2025, at a church in Igembe North, where he warned President William Ruto against visiting Meru County if Chief Justice Martha Koome was removed from office.
The National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) has accused former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua of failing to honour its summons, intensifying a standoff between the agency and the ex-DP.
In a report tabled in Parliament, NCIC revealed that Gachagua is among high-profile individuals who have ignored its calls to appear before them. The commission stated that it has issued six summonses since January, but only two individuals have complied.
More To Read
- South Africa opposition leader Malema convicted of hate speech over remarks during 2022 rally
- Petition filed seeking removal of NCIC Chairperson Samuel Kobia
- Challenging the status quo: Githunguri MP Gathoni Wamuchomba tells it all
- Live blog: Suspected goons stone Rigathi Gachagua's convoy on Mombasa Road
- IG Kanja quashes arrest speculation surrounding Gachagua’s arrival
- Moja Expressway dismisses fake notice on closure of section of expressway ahead of Gachagua arrival
Apart from Gachagua, Webuye West MP Dan Wanyama and activist Jerotich Kipkorir, also known as Marakwet Daughter, have not responded to the summonses. Activist Calvince Okoth, popularly known as Gaucho, has also failed to appear.
Gachagua was summoned over remarks he made on February 23, 2025, at a church in Igembe North, where he warned President William Ruto against visiting Meru County if Chief Justice Martha Koome was removed from office.
The NCIC’s move is expected to spark fresh debate on the accountability of political leaders over their public statements, with Parliament now set to determine the next course of action.
MP Wanyama, on the other hand, is being investigated for comments he made at an interdenominational prayer event at Cheptais Boys’ High School in Bungoma County on January 19. His remarks allegedly suggested isolating the Mt. Kenya region from the rest of the country.
NCIC Chairperson Philip Okundi, alongside commissioners Abdulziz Farah, Danvas Makori, Sam Kona, and Dorcas Kedogo, appeared before the National Assembly Committee on Administration and Internal Security to present their budget request. Chief Executive Officer Harrison Kariuki was also present.
The commission appealed for an additional Sh600 million to monitor hate speech cases ahead of the 2027 elections. It noted that the same amount had been allocated before the last elections and urged the committee, chaired by Narok West MP Gabriel Tongoyo, to approve a similar allocation.
According to NCIC, early signs of inflammatory rhetoric, especially on social media, are already emerging, and swift action is necessary to prevent violence in 2027.
Top Stories Today
- Live blog: Governor Erick Mutai’s impeachment trial enters third day
- MPs warn of huge losses at NCPB, raise alarm over Kenya’s food security
- Interpol shares key advice to tackle cyber threats
- UN warns Kenyans over spike in scams linked to staff relocation to Nairobi
- Indiscipline to blame for Nairobi–Nakuru Highway gridlock, says KeNHA
- Kenya losing over Sh600 billion in stalled public projects, says PMI