South Sudan imposes curfew after Sudan killings trigger riots

South Sudan's foreign ministry summoned Sudan's ambassador over the alleged killings earlier this week, and President Salva Kiir Mayardit called for calm.
South Sudan's police imposed a nationwide curfew starting at 6 p.m. (1600 GMT) on Friday after a night of rioting in the capital over the alleged killing of South Sudanese people by the army and allied groups in neighbouring Sudan.
In a broadcast on state television, police chief Abraham Peter Manyuat said the curfew would continue until further notice from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily to try to restore security and prevent the destruction of property.
More To Read
- African Union mediators arrive in South Sudan to try to rescue peace deal
- Raila misrepresented diplomatic mission during South Sudan visit - Kiir's office
- AUC Chair Mahmoud Ali Youssouf to dispatch Panel of the Wise to mediate in South Sudan crisis
- UN chief António Guterres urges South Sudan to end political confrontation, release detained officials
Sudan's military has been battling RSF fighters in a near two-year civil war.
South Sudan's foreign ministry summoned Sudan's ambassador over the alleged killings earlier this week, and President Salva Kiir Mayardit called for calm.
"It is crucial that we do not allow anger to cloud our judgment or turn against Sudanese traders and refugees currently residing in our country," his office said in a statement.
Top Stories Today