Sudan signals willingness to coordinate with UN despite ongoing RSF clashes

Sudan signals willingness to coordinate with UN despite ongoing RSF clashes

The war in Sudan has killed more than 40,000 people, displaced over 14 million, and pushed parts of the country into famine, creating one of the world's largest humanitarian crises.

Sudan's government has expressed its willingness to coordinate with the United Nations to support peace, security, and humanitarian efforts, even as the country continues to face ongoing clashes with the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

According to the Sudan News Agency (SUNA), the announcement was made on Saturday in Khartoum following a meeting between General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, President of the Sovereignty Council, and Ramtane Lamamra, the Personal Envoy of the UN Secretary-General.

Reports indicate that al-Burhan stressed the Sudanese government's commitment to work with the UN and its agencies to advance humanitarian, development, and social programmes, while pursuing peace that meets the aspirations of the Sudanese people.

"The President of the Sovereignty Council welcomed the personal envoy of the United Nations secretary-general, affirming the Sudanese government's readiness to engage with the United Nations and all its agencies operating in Sudan to achieve the desired goals across all areas of humanitarian, developmental, social, and other work," SUNA said in a statement on X.

Support Sudan-led dialogue

Lamamra, for his part, said the visit aimed to assess Sudan's political, security, and humanitarian situation, and reiterated that the UN is prepared to support a Sudanese-led dialogue to reduce violence and stabilise the country.

"Lamamra added that he recognises the complexities of the situation from the perspective of the Sudanese government, pointing out that the opportunity remains available for convening a Sudanese-Sudanese dialogue that would stem the bloodshed and achieve security and stability, and that the United Nations is prepared to provide all necessary assistance to realise this goal," SUNA reported.

The development comes as the Sudanese army continues its intense clashes with the RSF, leaving the humanitarian situation in the country increasingly dire.

Last week, al-Burhan dismissed a new ceasefire plan from US-led mediators, calling it one of the worst proposals put forward to resolve the country's ongoing conflict.

Burhan accused the mediators, known as the Quad, of taking sides and presenting an offer that he believes undermines the national army while favouring the RSF.

According to US adviser Massad Boulous, the latest proposal called for a three-month humanitarian ceasefire, followed by nine months of political talks.

In the same week, RSF chief, General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo ‘Hemedti’ announced that his troops had entered the three-month humanitarian ceasefire, following international pressure to end the country's ongoing conflict.

Despite the announcement, reports indicate that the RSF and the Sudanese army remain engaged in fighting as they seek control of Sudan.

The war has killed more than 40,000 people, displaced over 14 million, and pushed parts of the country into famine, creating one of the world's largest humanitarian crises.

Reader Comments

Trending

Popular Stories This Week

Stay ahead of the news! Click ‘Yes, Thanks’ to receive breaking stories and exclusive updates directly to your device. Be the first to know what’s happening.