UN rallies behind Kenya-led security mission in Haiti

UN rallies behind Kenya-led security mission in Haiti

Antonio Guterres said such support is vital to reinforce local initiatives, safeguard civilians, and pave the way for a return to law and order and credible, inclusive elections.

The United Nations has thrown its weight behind Kenya’s efforts to secure UN logistical and operational support for the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission in Haiti.

Speaking before the UN Security Council on Thursday, Secretary-General Antonio Guterres stressed that sustaining progress in Haiti requires “decisive and coordinated international security support.”

Guterres said such support is vital to reinforce local initiatives, safeguard civilians, and pave the way for a return to law and order and credible, inclusive elections.

“I welcome efforts by members of this council to advance my February 24 proposal to strengthen the Multinational Security Support mission through UN logistical and operational support,” he added.

The UN chief’s endorsement aligns with President William Ruto’s call for a dedicated UN office to back the Kenya-led mission.

During a phone conversation with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on August 19, Ruto highlighted the need for a UN resolution to establish a support office to help stabilise and secure Haiti.

Kenya initially advocated for the mission to evolve into a full UN peacekeeping operation, but the plan did not proceed.

In February, Guterres proposed a support mission funded through the UN peacekeeping budget.

“Such a transition could be considered once significant progress has been made in substantially reducing gang territorial control. A realistic option is based on a dual-track strategy, with the United Nations assuming new roles to enable the MSS, the national police and Haitian authorities to substantially reduce gang territorial control through peace enforcement,” he said.

He noted that this transition would require a strong mandate allowing the use of force and targeted operations against gangs.

Yet, the Kenya-led mission continues to face operational difficulties due to limited resources and funding.

To address these gaps, Kenya, the US, Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala, the Bahamas, and Jamaica have petitioned the UN Security Council for more support.

The US is reportedly drafting a resolution to fund operations against gangs in Port-au-Prince, based on Guterres’ recommendations. Discussions are also underway for a $2.6 billion plan over three years to stabilise Haiti.

Earlier this month, National Security deputy adviser Joseph Boinnet visited Haiti and reaffirmed Kenya’s commitment to the mission, noting that additional resources are needed to overcome operational hurdles.

Guterres further stressed that security improvements must go hand-in-hand with increased pressure on those driving violence.

Reader Comments

Trending

Popular Stories This Week

Stay ahead of the news! Click ‘Yes, Thanks’ to receive breaking stories and exclusive updates directly to your device. Be the first to know what’s happening.