Five dead as cholera outbreak hits Nairobi, Kisumu and Migori counties

Kenya Red Cross, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the Nairobi County Health Team, has intensified sanitation and hygiene campaigns in response to the outbreak.
A total of 69 people have tested positive for cholera, with the disease claiming five lives so far.
The Ministry of Health has reported that the disease is spreading across Nairobi, Kisumu and Migori counties, urging hospitals to activate rapid response teams to contain and prevent further spread.
More To Read
The five fatalities include a 46-year-old man from Nairobi, where 11 other cases have also been confirmed.
Out of the 11, three patients remain admitted to the hospital, three have been discharged, while five have fully recovered. The cases in Nairobi have been recorded in Kasarani (5), Kibra (3), Dagoretti (2) and Embakasi Central (1).
Migori County remains the most affected, with 43 cases since the first was reported on February 5.
According to the Ministry of Health, the first patient was a mother who was treated at Solbrit Hospital but later succumbed. The outbreak in the county was officially confirmed on February 21.
So far, Kuria East has recorded 21 cases, Kuria West 16, Suna West three and Suna East three. Sakuri B village in Kuria East and Namba village in Kuria West have been flagged as hotspots.
In Kisumu County, 15 cases have been confirmed, 13 of which were reported in Nyando, and two in Muhoroni. The Ministry noted that one suspected case from Kajulu Ward is under investigation.
“Three deaths were recorded, with two out of these recorded at the community level, and one confirmed through testing of a stool sample. The first case in Kisumu was reported on March 14. Hotspots include Kogoro Camp, Kaluga village in Nyando and Ombeyi village in Muhoroni,” the Ministry of Health said in a statement.
To curb further spread, the ministry said it has stepped up its surveillance mechanisms, including daily situation reports, intensified case detection, contact tracing and the deployment of national and county rapid response teams.
Additionally, health workers are undergoing training, and the public is being educated on preventive measures such as maintaining hygiene, disinfecting households, and treating drinking water.
The ministry further noted that individuals who have come into contact with infected persons are being closely monitored and treated.
“The ministry, in collaboration with various partners, is working diligently to address the cholera outbreak in the country. The public is urged to remain vigilant, adhere to health guidelines, and report any symptoms promptly to healthcare authorities,” the ministry said.
Environmental Health and Public Health Practitioners Union Secretary-General, Nairobi branch, Raphael Muli, attributed Nairobi’s vulnerability to the outbreak to illegal water connections and poor infrastructure.
“Cholera is a faecal disease. When you have cholera, you have either eaten your faeces or someone else’s faeces. When you have such water infrastructure, the likelihood of contracting cholera is high. Even if you do water chlorination, the chlorine is used up by the sewage contaminants, leaving nothing to kill bacteria in water,” Muli said.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), cholera is an acute diarrhoeal disease caused by consuming food or water contaminated with faecal matter. Key risk factors include lack of access to clean water, poor sanitation, and inadequate hygiene.
“The time from infection to onset of symptoms ranges from 12 hours to 5 days, with symptoms ranging from severe acute watery diarrhoea and vomiting,” WHO says.
“Most people with cholera have mild or moderate diarrhoea and can be treated with oral rehydration solution. However, the disease can progress rapidly, so starting treatment quickly is vital to save lives,” it added.
Meanwhile, the Kenya Red Cross, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the Nairobi County Health Team, has intensified sanitation and hygiene campaigns in response to the outbreak.
“Following a reported case of a cholera outbreak in Nairobi, the Kenya Red Cross Nairobi Branch team, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the County Health Team, has been actively carrying out joint sanitation and hygiene interventions to help protect communities and contain the spread of the disease,” the organisation said.
“In addition, our teams are engaging with children and community members to raise awareness about the dangers of cholera and emphasise the importance of proper hygiene practices.”
Top Stories Today