I won’t be silenced, Ruto dialed the wrong number- Muturi

I won’t be silenced, Ruto dialed the wrong number- Muturi

Muturi asserted that his outspokenness on forced disappearances and unlawful killings led to his dismissal. "If their goal was to silence me, then they’ve dialed the wrong number," he declared.

Former Public Service Cabinet Secretary Justin Muturi has vowed to keep speaking out against abductions and extrajudicial killings despite his recent dismissal from President William Ruto's Cabinet.

Muturi was fired last week, with the president citing absenteeism and failure to attend Cabinet meetings. However, Muturi claims his removal stemmed from his repeated calls to address these pressing human rights violations.

Speaking to the press on Wednesday, Muturi asserted that his outspokenness on forced disappearances and unlawful killings led to his dismissal.

"If their goal was to silence me, then they’ve dialed the wrong number," he declared.

Muturi revealed that he formally requested President Ruto to prioritise the issue in Cabinet discussions, but his appeals were ignored.

"I wrote to the president, urging him to place this matter on the agenda. To date, I have never received a response, clearly indicating that he does not consider it (abductions) a priority," Muturi said.

Due to the government’s inaction, Muturi chose to boycott Cabinet meetings until the issue was addressed.

Muturi detailed how, during a November 3, 2025, Cabinet meeting, the agenda again excluded discussions on enforced disappearances.

"I sent another letter on March 10, referencing my previous concerns and reiterating my stance. Still, there was no acknowledgment from the president," he stated.

“I did beseech the president this time to direct that the vexing issue of abductions and extrajudicial killings in our country be prioritised and placed on the agenda for any future Cabinet meetings.”

Despite his efforts, he claimed that President Ruto never addressed or acknowledged his letters, leading him to conclude that human rights violations were not a government priority.

“After each Cabinet meeting, as you all know, I, in particular, regularly receive a dispatch from the Cabinet detailing all the matters discussed and the decisions made. But the issue of abductions and extrajudicial killings has never been discussed,” Muturi added.

Muturi said he was surprised when Ruto claimed the Cabinet resolved the abduction issue. “I was, therefore, like many Kenyans, surprised to hear the president on live television on the evening of March 31 stating that the issue had been discussed in Cabinet and resolved.”

During the same interview, President Ruto defended his decision to dismiss Muturi, claiming that the former CS had neglected his duties.

"If someone absconds duty, is it me who fired him, or did he fire himself?" Ruto asked.

The president also alleged that government departments struggled with inefficiency under Muturi’s tenure as Attorney General.

"Ask any department that sought legal counsel during his tenure, and they will tell you about the incompetence in that office," Ruto claimed.

Ruto reassigned Muturi to Public Service CS, but the former AG reportedly continued to miss work.

Muturi insists that his absence from Cabinet was intentional, serving as a protest against government inaction on abduction cases.

"I formally requested to be excused from meetings until the matter was officially tabled," he explained.

He warned that if the Cabinet fails to discuss national issues, it risks being perceived as complicit in injustices.

"The Cabinet is the highest decision-making body. If it cannot address these violations, it sends the wrong message to the public," Muturi stated.

Reader Comments

Trending

Stay ahead of the news! Click ‘Yes, Thanks’ to receive breaking stories and exclusive updates directly to your device. Be the first to know what’s happening.