UHC staff ordered to resume work as payroll shifts to counties in July

The parties agreed that county governments will not only take over payroll responsibilities but also receive budgetary support to ensure the seamless transition and integration of the UHC workforce into the county systems.
All Universal Health Coverage (UHC) staff have been directed to return to work by Wednesday, May 7, 2025, following a resolution by the Ministry of Health and health workers’ unions to transfer payroll management to county governments.
In a joint statement on Tuesday by Medical Services Principal Secretary Ouma Oluga and Council of Governors CEO Mary Mwiti, the ministry said the payroll transfer will take effect on July 1, 2025 and that county governments will be provided with additional funds before the expiry of the current UHC contracts to facilitate the full absorption of staff into permanent and pensionable terms.
More To Read
- UHC staff turn heat on CoG Chair Muthomi Njuki, demand impeachment
- CoG raises concerns over UHC staff integration into county payrolls
- SHA denies wiring Sh20 million to ghost hospital in Homa Bay, confirms payment to Nyandiwa Level 4
- Kenya records landmark milestones in fight against HIV, malaria, TB and sleeping sickness
- Kenya to receive Sh10 billion for maternal and newborn care
- PS Oluga warns stigma denying thousands of PWDs vital health services
“The Ministry of Health shall transfer the management of UHC staff payroll to counties effective July 1, 2025, with attendant budget for payment of stipend under the current terms in the interim,” reads the statement.
The meeting that led to this decision brought together the Ministry of Health, the Council of Governors and leaders of several health workers’ unions, including the Kenya National Union of Nurses and Midwives (KNUNM), the Kenya Union of Clinical Officers (KUCO), the Kenya National Union of Medical Laboratory Officers, and the Kenya Environmental Health and Public Health Practitioners Union. It was chaired by Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale.
The parties agreed that county governments will not only take over payroll responsibilities but also receive budgetary support to ensure the seamless transition and integration of the UHC workforce into the county systems.
“County governments will be provided with additional funds before the expiry of the current UHC contracts for purposes of full absorption to permanent and pensionable terms,” reads the statement.
Service gratuity payments
They noted that service gratuity payments will be addressed after the staff have been absorbed into the new employment terms.
“Service gratuity payments will be considered upon conclusion of absorption of the UHC staff,” the parties said.
All UHC staff who have been off duty have now been instructed to resume duty immediately, and not later than May 7, 2025.
“All UHC staff currently out of duty to resume work with immediate effect and not later than May 7, 2025,” read the statement.
The directive for UHC staff to resume duty comes amid rising pressure from the workforce, which has been pushing for better employment terms.
Since last month, the staff, currently employed on contractual terms, have been demanding to be transitioned into permanent and pensionable positions within the government.
On April 29, 2025, UHC health workers from various counties staged demonstrations in Nairobi. During the protests, they called for their absorption into permanent roles, payment of gratuity accrued over the past five years, and the harmonisation of their salaries in line with guidelines set by the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC), among other concerns.
The latest agreement between the ministry, county governments, and health unions now addresses most of those demands, marking a key breakthrough in the ongoing struggle for improved employment terms for UHC workers.
Top Stories Today
- Live blog: Governor Erick Mutai’s impeachment trial enters third day
- MPs launch probe into kidney transplants on foreign nationals in Eldoret hospitals
- Teachers who resigned or were dismissed after April 2018 eligible for pension, says TSC
- Felix Koskei urges coordinated communication in State agencies to curb misinformation
- NPSC chair Yuda Komora vows to transform police into citizen-centered service
- ‘The people of Haiti are in a perfect storm of suffering,’ warns UN chief