Kwa Binzaro exhumations halted as 32 bodies are recovered, families urged to give DNA samples

The next phase will involve post-mortems and DNA profiling of both the bodies and the body parts recovered. Onyancha appealed to relatives of missing persons to present themselves for DNA sampling at Malindi Sub-County Hospital.
Exhumations at Kwa Binzaro in Kilifi County have been suspended until further notice, even as authorities confirmed that 32 bodies and multiple human remains have so far been retrieved from the site.
Coast Regional Commissioner Rhoda Onyancha announced on Friday that the multi-agency team had completed exhumations in all areas identified for the exercise, which began on August 21.
More To Read
- Police admit Shakahola lessons not fully applied after Kwa Binzaro cult deaths
- Binzaro village exhumations reveal scattered body parts in disturbing contrast to Shakahola
- Witness reveals how Mackenzie’s Shakahola church starved dozens, killing children and families
- Death toll rises to 25 as six more bodies exhumed in Binzaro Village cult probe
- Kwa Binzaro cult tragedy lays bare State’s broken promises after Shakahola
- Six more bodies exhumed in Binzaro village cult probe, total rises to 19
“We started exhumations on August 21, and so far we have been able to exhume 32 bodies from Kwa Binzaro. During the search, the multi-agency team also recovered multiple body parts. We have now come to the end of exhumations in the identified areas, and we really appreciate the great job the team has done,” she said.
She explained that while digging had stopped, documentation and search teams would remain on site.
“We will also have a multi-agency team working with them, so if they identify any graves that may have been missed, we will resume. But for now, all the identified graves have been exhausted,” she said.
The next phase will involve post-mortems and DNA profiling of both the bodies and the body parts recovered. Onyancha appealed to relatives of missing persons to present themselves for DNA sampling at Malindi Sub-County Hospital.
“We appeal to members of the public, even from previous incidents, if they have not come for DNA samples. A few have already come forward, but if your loved ones are missing, kindly come,” she urged.
The commissioner commended residents for their support and encouraged continued vigilance.
“The community has greatly assisted the team by providing information that led to the success of the exercise. We encourage them to remain alert and share any new information so that we avoid another tragedy like this one,” she said, adding that security agencies would intensify patrols and intelligence gathering in the region.
She also raised concerns about the spread of cult activities. “People are becoming so gullible. This is not the only incident. We have disrupted quite a number of similar activities in Kilifi and Kwale, where people were preaching doctrines that led others to abandon their families or act in harmful ways. Just yesterday, we arrested people in Magarini, and we will continue to ensure such groups are stopped.”
Top Stories Today
Reader Comments
Trending
