National

Ruto becomes second President after Kibaki to sack entire cabinet

By |

The last time Kenyans saw an entire cabinet sacked was during former President Mwai Kibaki’s tenure a day after Kenyans rejected a constitution he had backed in 2005.

President William Ruto has made history as Kenya's second head of state to sack the entire Cabinet and convene a consultation on who to include in his new appointments.

After a long day of anticipation, the President appeared alone and announced the dismissal of his whole government, including Attorney General Justine Muturi.

Ruto said government programmes will continue as usual under the permanent secretaries and other unaffected state officials.

The last time Kenyans saw an entire cabinet sacked was during former President Mwai Kibaki’s tenure a day after Kenyans rejected a constitution he had backed in 2005.

Kibaki announced on state-owned television on Wednesday. “Following the results of the Referendum, it has become necessary for me, as the President of the Republic, to reorganise my government to make it more cohesive and better able to serve the people of Kenya,” Kibaki said.

“I have directed that the Offices of all Ministers and all Assistant Ministers become vacant. Consequently, the occupants of the said offices cease to hold their respective offices with immediate effect,” he said.

In Kibaki’s time, the then Vice President Moody Awori and permanent secretaries in Kenya, run the government in the meantime.

The referendum had dealt a blow to Kibaki’s government two years before the next presidential race.

About 57 per cent of voters rejected the referendum, which critics had said gave Kenyans a chance to express their opinion about Kibaki’s rule, while 43 per cent supported the draft charter, according to Electoral Commission Chairman Samuel Kivuitu.

Reader comments

Live Updates