ODM threatens to sue Treasury for withholding Sh12.6 billion from Political Parties Fund

ODM threatens to sue Treasury for withholding Sh12.6 billion from Political Parties Fund

ODM said the continued refusal by the Treasury and Parliament to release the funds has undermined the party’s ability to meet its financial obligations despite the money being a legal entitlement under the Political Parties Fund.

The Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) has accused the National Treasury of deliberately withholding political party funds and threatened to pursue legal action to recover what it claims is Sh12.6 billion owed to the party.

In a statement issued after a Central Committee meeting on Thursday, ODM said the continued refusal by the Treasury and Parliament to release the funds has undermined the party’s ability to meet its financial obligations despite the money being a legal entitlement under the Political Parties Fund.

"Of concern, however, is the continued refusal by the National Treasury and Parliament to comply with the law on Political Party funding, and failure to settle the debt owed to ODM, which now stands at a whopping Sh12.6 billion.

The committee has resolved to explore execution proceedings against the National Treasury for the recovery of this amount," read part of the statement signed by Secretary General Edwin Sifuna.

The committee praised the party’s National Treasurer and the Secretariat for prudent financial management under the circumstances and adopted the financial report for the 2024/2025 financial year.

On political activities, the committee reviewed recent branch and county elections and outlined plans for the upcoming by-elections scheduled for November 27.

ODM said it will present candidates in most of the electoral areas except for Magarini Constituency and Fafi Ward, where it intends to hand direct nominations to its 2022 candidates.

"The Central Committee resolved that ODM will field candidates in the forthcoming by-elections scheduled for November 27, 2025, in all but seven of the 23 electoral areas," the party added.

"The NECC has been directed to invite applications from candidates in those areas, except for Magarini Constituency and Fafi Ward, where it is proposed to issue direct tickets to our 2022 candidates."

The party also announced that repeat elections will be conducted in Busia and Kakamega counties on August 29 and September 1, respectively, as it works to settle appeals affecting six counties.

This follows the suspension of the Busia elections earlier this month.

On August 21, the National Elections Coordinating Committee chairperson, Emily Awita, said the polls, which had been scheduled for August 25, were postponed until further notice.

Reader Comments

Trending

Popular Stories This Week

Stay ahead of the news! Click ‘Yes, Thanks’ to receive breaking stories and exclusive updates directly to your device. Be the first to know what’s happening.