Mombasa electric bus firm suspends operations after staff threatened

The suspension has left the company counting heavy financial losses, with officials estimating millions of shillings lost since the shutdown.
A newly introduced electric bus service in Mombasa has been forced to suspend operations along the Bamburi–Docks route following a wave of threats and intimidation targeting its staff and vehicles.
Exodus Mobility, the firm behind the initiative, said it had no option but to withdraw its six buses from the road after workers reported being harassed and warned of possible attacks.
More To Read
- Kenya rolls out first intercity electric matatus in major green transport push
- Boda boda riders’ voice key in spurring innovation for green movement, experts say
- E-mobility drive: Kenya Power to install 45 EV charging stations across six counties
- Uganda’s boda boda bikes are deadly polluters: Study models how going electric could save lives
- Kenya embraces e-mobility as global electric vehicle sales surge
- What’s needed to grow the Electric Vehicles sector in Africa
The suspension has left the company counting heavy financial losses, with officials estimating millions of shillings lost since the shutdown.
The project, launched in partnership with the Mombasa County Government, was unveiled less than a fortnight ago as part of efforts to modernise public transport through a cashless, eco-friendly system.
Commuters were able to pay electronically for daily, weekly, and monthly passes, in what was billed as a major shift towards efficiency and transparency in Kenya’s transport sector.
Co-founder Kikonde Mwatela said the decision to stop services was made reluctantly but out of necessity.
“We had to pull our buses from the road after our drivers and staff received direct threats. We reported the matter to the Bamburi Police Station and trust the authorities will act accordingly. The safety of passengers and employees comes first,” Mwatela said.

He apologised to commuters affected by the abrupt disruption and pledged that refunds for unused tickets would be processed.
Tension was witnessed at the Bamburi Mwisho stage, where some matatu operators accused the company of interfering with their business.
Driver Abbas Omar, one of the employees caught in the ordeal, confirmed that warnings were issued at the stage.
Mwatela, while refusing to directly point fingers at competitors, said law enforcement had been left to investigate the matter. His fellow co-founder, Kenneth Kinyanjui, emphasised that the service was not intended to displace existing operators but to complement the city’s transport system.
“In every industry, there is competition, but it must be fair and disciplined. Our model was designed to deliver scheduled, reliable, and cashless travel for Mombasa residents,” he explained.
Exodus Mobility said it intends to resume operations as early as Monday, once it receives security clearance. Future plans include extending the service to cover Bamburi–Docks–Likoni routes.
Staff member Salim Omar noted that the service offered affordable daily passes priced at Sh300, with weekly and monthly options also available.
Despite the setback, the company insists that electric and cashless transport remains the future of commuting in Mombasa.
Top Stories Today