Curfew imposed in Mau Narok after deadly clashes in Tipis and Mwisho wa Lami

Curfew imposed in Mau Narok after deadly clashes in Tipis and Mwisho wa Lami

The violence, which continued into Sunday morning, forced the closure of the Nakuru–Narok road after residents blocked it with burning tyres.

A dusk-to-dawn curfew has been imposed in Tipis and Mwisho wa Lami, Mau Narok, following violent clashes on the night of Saturday, August 30, that left at least one person dead, dozens displaced, and several homes burned. The curfew will run daily from 7 pm to 5 am.

The violence, which continued into Sunday morning, forced the closure of the Nakuru–Narok road after residents blocked it with burning tyres. By dawn, thick smoke hung over Mwisho wa Lami trading centre as frightened families fled.

Eyewitnesses said “hundreds of masked goons” stormed homes, destroying at least 12 houses and attacking residents.

“This is no longer just a protest. People’s lives are in danger. Every time land disputes are ignored, this is the result,” said John Kipkoech, a Tipis resident who lost property in the chaos.

Land ownership disputes

Many locals linked the unrest to long-running land ownership disputes in Mau Narok.

“Electricity cannot explain why people are burning houses. This is about land. It has always been about land,” said Mary Wambui, a trader at Mwisho wa Lami.

But Nakuru County Police Commander Emmanuel Opuru dismissed suggestions of ethnic conflict, instead attributing the unrest to anger over a two-month power blackout.

“This is just a small matter that we are already in control of,” Opuru told reporters. “The protests started over the lack of electricity, during which a vehicle was damaged. That is what escalated the situation, not ethnic conflict.”

Police deployed

He said police had been deployed to restore calm and investigate the root causes.

The violence left dozens of families homeless, businesses closed, and travellers stranded. Survivors described scenes of panic, with one witness saying around 200 masked men stormed the area, leaving several people injured.

“We have lost peace. Some of us have been left homeless after our houses were burnt down. They just stormed in and started fighting,” said Martha Wanjiru, a Tipis resident.

Authorities warned motorists to use alternative routes as locals blocked the Nakuru–Narok road, disrupting transport and trade.

Residents protest in Mau Narok, blocking a road with burning tyres after violent clashes on the night of Saturday, August 30, 2025, that left at least one person dead, displaced dozens, and destroyed several homes. (Photo: Handout)

“We now have a curfew in effect. If 7 pm finds you in the plantation, you will have to spend the night there and continue your journey in the morning,” said Nakuru County Commissioner Loyford Kibaara, who announced the week-long curfew and urged residents to comply.

Kibaara confirmed that additional police posts would be set up in the affected areas to reinforce security.

Narok County Commissioner Kipketch Lotiatia said the unrest initially arose from disputes over electricity connections before spiralling into violence and road blockades.

The region has a history of deadly clashes. In 2018, land disputes left seven people injured and dozens of homes destroyed. In 2020, tribal violence in Nessuit, Mariashoni, and Olposimoru killed five people, injured 40, destroyed nearly 200 homes, and displaced about 3,000 residents.

Security forces remain on high alert to prevent further violence as authorities work to calm tensions in the volatile region.

Reader Comments

Trending

Latest Stories

Popular Stories This Week

Stay ahead of the news! Click ‘Yes, Thanks’ to receive breaking stories and exclusive updates directly to your device. Be the first to know what’s happening.