Mombasa hawkers ordered to vacate footpaths or face forceful eviction

According to the County Chief Officer for Trade, Pauline Oginga, the directive targets areas in Mvita and Nyali sub-counties, where illegal trading activities have disrupted public movement and contributed to traffic congestion.
Hawkers and traders operating unlawfully on pedestrian footpaths, pavements, and urban spaces in Mombasa County have been given a final warning to vacate immediately or face forcible eviction.
According to the County Chief Officer for Trade, Pauline Oginga, the directive targets areas in Mvita and Nyali sub-counties, where illegal trading activities have disrupted public movement and contributed to traffic congestion.
“Today, our officers from the Department of Trade issued a notice to all hawkers and traders in Mvita and Nyali sub-counties operating illegally on pedestrian footpaths, pavements, and urban spaces to vacate immediately—failure to which they will be forcefully removed,” said Oginga.
More To Read
- Roadside traders on Eastleigh’s Athumani Kipanga Street count losses as structures are demolished
- City Hall restricts hawkers to designated backstreets in Nairobi CBD
- Eastleigh woman's story of survival, evading city askaris to fend for her family
- Eastleigh businesses, city officials discuss hawker situation, keeping streets clean
She emphasised that the county government values law and order, and that the rights of all citizens must be upheld equally.
“It has been noted with concern that hawking activities have mushroomed in areas such as Kengeleni and the Ukwala area in Nyali. Footpaths have been unlawfully occupied by vendors, leaving no space for pedestrians. This has also led to avoidable traffic snarl-ups, especially along Links Road at the Kengeleni Junction,” she added.
Oginga stated that a formal notice had been issued, prohibiting any hawking or handcart operations along the affected walkways, with enforcement set to begin on April 4, 2025.

However, some traders expressed frustration, urging the county to offer an alternative location where they could conduct their businesses.
“I have been selling second-hand clothes here for three years. If they remove us without showing us where to go, how will I feed my children?” asked Haida Abdalla, a trader.
Another trader, Musau Kioko, said, “We understand the law, but most of us depend on this for survival. Let the county at least engage us or provide a temporary space.”
Maria Wanjiru, who operates a fruit cart along Links Road, added, “We are not here to break the law. We’re here because market spaces are either full or too expensive for small traders like us.”
Peter Munga, another trader, urged the county to find a middle ground. “They should regulate us, not chase us away like criminals. We’re ready to follow the rules.”
Not all residents, however, opposed the move. Pedestrians and boda boda operators welcomed the directive.
“The traders have taken over walkways and created chaos. Sometimes people are forced to walk on the road. It’s risky,” said Salim Ali.
Top Stories Today